Bachelors of Medicine and Bachelors of Surgery abbreviated in various ways, viz. “BMBS”, MB BChir, BM BCh, MB BCh, MB ChB, MBBS, M.B.B.S. etc. MBBS includes two professional medical degrees which are awarded upon the graduation from medical schools in medicine and surgery by the affiliated universities in various countries.
According to the name medicine and surgery are considered as two separate degrees but in the practices and medical fields it is considered as one degree and is being awarded the same. MBBS is one of the most popular degrees in India as well as in various parts of the world viz. Australia, UK, Russia, Canada, etc. MBBS is a medical course which includes 4.5 years of classroom studies.
The classroom studies are divided into the three parts of the three semesters each. In the course of classroom study, there are several ranges of subjects like surgery, radiology, pathology, dermatology, biochemistry, psychiatry, ophthalmology, obstetrics and gynecology. Anatomy and preventive medicine are also being studied in the course of the classroom study period. Practical medical internship for 1.5 years is also being included in the total time span of MBBS degree.
There are various other medical courses available other than MBBS which could be selected by the students willing to obtain a medical degree. These courses are:
- B.D.S (Bachelors of Dental Surgery) Course Duration: 4 Years
- B. Pharma (Bachelors of Pharmacy) Course Duration: 4 Years
- B.Sc Nursing Course Duration: 3 Years
- B.P.T (Physiotherapy) Course Duration: 3 Years
- B.O.T (Occupational Therapy) Course Duration: 3 Years
- B.H.M.S (Homeopathy Medicine) Course Duration: 5.5 Years
- B.U.M.S (Unani Medicine) Course Duration: 5 Years
- Optometry Course Duration: 2 Years
- B.A.M.S (Ayurvedic, Siddha Medicine) Course Duration:4 Years
- D. Pharma (Ayurvedic, Sidha Medicine) Course Duration:1 Years